Choosing Your Playground Supplier: What To Look For
Kicking off a new playground project is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming as you think about all the options to consider and questions you have. We’ve put together a checklist that will help point you in the right direction as you begin this journey.
- Does the supplier use aluminum for their posts and clamps? Aluminum will not rust and is 100% recycled.
- Does the supplier use stainless steel and tamper resistant fasteners? They also are rust-resistant and cannot be removed with common tools.
- Does the supplier offer a comprehensive and well-defined warranty?
- 100 years for posts, post caps and clamps
- 15 years for all plastic and steel components
- Minimum 3 year warranty on all other parts
- Know that some suppliers’ “lifetime warranties” can cover as little as 7 years or less
- It’s important that you choose a playground manufacturer that maintains rigorous colour and finish standards for fade-resistance, gloss retention and durability. Your play equipment should be designed to withstand the demands of extreme heat, harsh climates, moisture and UV exposure.
- Does the manufacturer offer playground components that are engineered to move? This type of equipment will stimulate and develop children’s balance, depth perception, coordination, gross and fine motor skills.
Safety & Compliance:
- Is the manufacturer’s products IPEMA certified to CAN/CSA-Z614? Being an IPEMA member only is simply not enough.
- Is the manufacturer ISO 9001:2015 certified? This assures you of a consistently well-manufactured product.
- Does the manufacturer offer products manufactured using a high content of recycled material?
- Is the manufacturer ISO 14001:2015 certified? This assures you that the manufacturer is committed to the prevention of pollution and environmental management practices.